The Baccalaureate curriculum requires four years of study. It is built on liberal education courses and professional courses.
Students begin their study with pre-nursing courses in the first year.
These are followed by nursing courses in the sophomore year through senior year. Students are required to take the
courses listed below :
(Special Basic Nursing 29 credits, Special Nursing 77 credits, Military courses and Disaster Preparedness 5 credits)
- Bachelor of Nursing Science Program
- Certificate of Practical Nursing Program
- Nursing Specialty Program
Bachelor of Nursing Science Program
Bachelor of Nursing Science Program of the Royal Thai Army Nursing College emphasizes Holistic Healthcare and adheres to the main keywords, namely human, society and environment, health, nursing, registered nurse, nursing study, including learning and teaching. Our teaching staffs believe that these keywords are significant factors and relevant to each other, so they become a concept of the establishment of the Bachelor of Nursing Science Program.
Nursing is a profession that provides healthcare services for a person, family, and community by applying knowledge, principles, and theories of any sciences, including research outputs for the service, together with a nursing process consisting of health assessment, nursing diagnosis, planning, implementation, and evaluation. Since nursing is the necessary service for the society, nurses and healthcare service teams are responsible for health promotion, diseases prevention, treatment, and health rehabilitation of the person, family, and community.
Registered nurse is a nurse, who graduates in the Bachelor of Nursing Science Program, with knowledge and competence in healthcare services providing to a person, family, and community. The nurse must be a leader of nursing and teamwork, with a social skill to coordinate and work with different types of people both in healthcareservice team and others. Moreover, the nurse must adhere to virtues, ethics, disciplines and human rights, in order to have more effective healthcare for the person, family and community, including livelong self-improvement and professional improvement as well.
The Bachelor of Nursing Science Program prepares a nursing student to be a generalist, who can service nursing everywhere, both in a hospital and a community, by providing general courses, professional foundation, nursing profession, and military courses. Moreover, there are some experiential courses covering four dimensions of nursing implementation, namely health protection, health promotion, treatment, and health rehabilitation and nursing process application for curing the health problems of the person, family and community. The experiential courses also aim to creating understanding a role of health promotion, disease prevention and health rehabilitation leader, including the insight of research procedures and application of the research outputs for nursing practice.
The Desirable Properties of the Graduates in this Program are as follows:
1. Having an ability to practice the nursing implementation by applying the nursing process in accordance with the person, family, or community’s requirements, together with focusing on the Holistic Healthcare and concerning about social, economic, politic, cultural, educational, and technological compositions
2. Providing services on health promotion, disease prevention, nursing and treatment in accordance with the law, including physical efficiency rehabilitation in order to enhance the person, family, and community’s quality of life
3. Having an ability to manage and evaluate an operation in any nursing organizations and others, including the ability to instruct, recommend and solve any nursing and administration problems
4. Having good human relations and effective cooperation with the other nursing staffs and related professions
5. Having a good attitude towards the profession, maintaining the professional virtues and ethics, including participating in any activities related to the nursing profession organizations
6. Having creativity and ability to evaluate works, together with yearning for professional and self-adjustment and improvement, including having a vision for scientific, technological and educational changes
7. Being supportive and participating in studies and research, including applying the trusting outputs of the research for the improvement of the nursing in several aspects such as education, service, administration and research
8. Having responsibility to clients, and respecting to the human rights and the healthcare rights of the clients
9. Promoting and maintaining the valuable tradition and culture
10. Having responsibility to themselves, duties, profession, and the nation, as the registered nurses, commissioned officers, and good citizen of the country
11. Standing for the military discipline, with knowledge and skills of patients treatment during a normal situation and wartime, including cooperating with other military divisions for patient referral
Principles and Reasons
In 1990, Certificate of in Practical Nursing Program was modified to be up-to-date in accordance with a requirement of healthcare agencies and service system, and the qualifications of the first-year students were changed to the students graduating from high schools in order that they can provide the services effectively, with the progress in government service. The Certificate of in Practical Nursing Program modified in 1990 became effective to the 14th batch of practical nursing students in academic year 1990 up to now. The Certificate of in Practical Nursing Program aims to generate the practical nurses with knowledge, competence and skills of nursing implementation in accordance with the clients’ demands, policies and direction of the healthcare service system, including developing the graduates to cherish the virtues, ethics, disciplines, responsibilities, the clients’ and colleagues’ rights. Additionally, the graduates must be the proficient nursing staff in the cooperation with the healthcare teams under the laws and the role of the practical nurse.
The Royal Thai Army Nursing College believes in knowledge and competence of the graduates of the Certificate of in Practical Nursing Program to provide the primary healthcare services to the military officers and their families, including the citizen effectively. The services cover health promotion, disease prevention, treatment and health rehabilitation, both in normal condition and sickness, and both in hospitals and communities. Moreover, the graduates must adhere to the virtues, ethics, and the clients’ and teams’ rights, including having good human relations, yearning for learning and self-improvement, keeping abreast of changes, and having social skills to live happily in the society.
The graduates of the Certificate of in Practical Nursing Program must be able to;
5.2.1 Apply knowledge from any sciences and nursing science for providing the healthcare services
5.2.2 Provide the healthcare services to the military officers and their families, and other people both in the hospitals and communities, covering the health promotion, disease prevention, primary nursing implementation, and physical efficiency rehabilitation, under the supervision of the registered nurses
5.2.3 Have good human relations, ability to coordinate and cooperate with the others in the healthcare team and other related agencies
5.2.4 Have self-responsibility, together with responsibilities for duties and professions, including creativity, adhering to the disciplines, and yearning for self-improvement
5.2.5 Cherish the virtues, ethics, and respect for the rights of the clients and colleagues
1. An applicant must earn a high school diploma that complies with the curriculum of the Ministry of Education (Thailand), any equivalent vocational education is not permitted.
2. An applicant must not carry any seriously contagious disease, any disease that would be detrimental to his/her education, or any mental disorder.
3. An applicant must have good behavior, no debt, not addicted to smoking or narcotic drug, and not being morally defective to the extent of being socially objectionable
4. Not being a person suspended from government service
5. Not having been punished by discharge or dismissal for breach of discipline from government service or any other educational institutions
6. Not having been imprisoned by final sentence of imprisonment fora criminal offence, with the exception of sentences for offences committed negligently or minor offences
According to the regulation of the Royal Thai Navy, the applicant must pass the examinations as follows:
1. Examinations in Science, Thai Language, English, and general knowledge
2. Physical examination
Period of Education
Two semesters and one summer semester
In 1969, with an approval of the Royal Thai Army, the Royal Thai Army Nursing College started generating the nursing staffs, as the practical nurses, for working in the agencies under the Royal Thai Army, in order to solve the shortage of the nursing staff and to improve knowledge and academic standing of permanent and temporary employees in a nursing division of the Royal Thai Army. The college established the Certificate of Practical Nursing Program which is a one-year temporary project in accordance with the demand of manpower in the Royal Thai Army Hospital. During 1969 – 1990, there were 706 practical nurses from the college working for the agencies under the Royal Thai Army, which can be divided into three production periods as follows:
The first period during 1969 – 1973: 1st – 5th batches with 50 graduates from each batch, totally 243 graduates
The second period during 1980 – 1984: 6th – 9th batches with 50 graduates from each batch, and 70 graduates from 10th batch, totally 254 graduates
The third period during 1988 – 1990: 11th – 13th batches with 70 graduates from each batch, totally 209 graduates
All practical nurses was appointed to be officials and worked for the agencies under the Royal Thai Army as the Lance Corporal.